- OBITUARY: Dr G Padmanabham (RIP : 3rd June 2021)
- ADLINK Enables Automated Arc-Welding Defect Detection with Industrial Machine Vision Edge Solution Toward Industry 4.0
- voestalpine Bohler Welding sponsors National Skill Competition for Best of the Best Welders 2020-21
- Weldfabtechtimes Magazine:- April – May 2021
- New high performing filters for FilterCart and Filterbox
- “We installed Liquid Medical Oxygen tanks in more than 250+ hospitals all over India and our Parent Company supplied liquid medical oxygen to more than 1000+ hospitals.”
- “We have consolidated our presence in India with the appointment of Sahara Enterprises.”
- “Government need to promote this particular education from the root itself to benefit entire welding segment in the coming years.”
- At John Deere, ‘Hard Iron Meets Artificial Intelligence’
- New developments in gas shielded arc welding of aluminium alloys using gas mixtures containing minor gaseous additions
“I spell welding in three stages before, during, after welding. It helps to avoid mistakes.”
M.E (Welding Tech), Welding Engineer,
Velmurugan Heavy Engg. Industries, Tamilnadu
What made you choose welding as a career?
Welding is involved in almost all kind of infrastructure developments. Thus, Welding Engineers have huge opportunities to design, build and perform in a job. The demand for welding engineers is increasing day-by-day.
How much of total experience do you have?
I have four years of work experience in welding, production and in academics.
Since you hold a vast experience in the welding segment, what is your say on the current welding market scenario? Is it on par with the international markets?
From March to August the market has witnessed a down fall, but after some relaxation from the quarantine, suddenly the market value has reached its height. International market relationship continues even in this tough situation.
What according to you is required to boost the welding industry in India?
All it requires is the Opportunity and Safety.
What are your expectations from the government for the upliftment of the welding segment?
Government should provide relaxation for industries like us and also need to provide PF, ESI to all levels of welding sector workers.
What type of projects have you worked upon?
I have been working on heavy fabrication of wind mill towers, cement factories kiln shells, pipe lines, etc.
Could you brief us on your recent project? What is it all about and your role into the same?
Currently, we are doing wind mill tower fabrication project. I am a welding co-ordinator on this project.
Brief us more on the current wind mill tower fabrication project?
We have continuous projects in wind mill tower fabrication. Besides this project, we are doing and is capable of working on various other structural jobs like cutting, bending, rolling, welding, blasting, painting facility. We have around 50 qualified welders in various processes. Our management always supports us and gives freedom, so we can offer quality job. We largely focus on automation.
Tell me about the most challenging engineering project that you have been involved with during the past year.
Nothing is difficult in engineering, but some challenges do take place like accessibility, environmental condition, electricity, consumables, and some base metals (weldability).
Talk about your field responsibilities in current organization?
My responsibility in current industry is to co-ordinate with the welding department, executing the production plan and fulfilling the QC and customer requirements. I am responsible to deliver the job without any defect and deviation. Besides, my work role is to involve R&D in implementation of technique and technology.
What checks and balances do you use to make sure that you don’t make mistakes?
I spell welding in three stages before, during, after welding. It helps to avoid mistakes.
What is your say on safety at work?
Safety is first in every aspect. It is important to check all welding cables, and wear the PPE, before starting work. Nothing is precious than life.
What new engineering specialty skills have you developed during the past year?
Planning, R&D, and new technologies.
Have you contributed to any cost savings for your company? Elaborate if any.
R&D and Implementation of new technologies always provide cost saving to a organisation. I have contributed in implementation of four new technologies.
Where do you see yourself ten years from now?
Happiest Welding Engineer, Welding Coordinator to the top management