India is the 3rd largest energy and oil consumer in the World. India’s energy demand is expected to grow at about 3% per annum by 2040, compared to the global rate of 1%. Further, 25% of the global energy growth between 2020 and 2040 is envisaged to come from India due to the fast-growing economy and demographic dividend.
D&H Sécheron, a leading manufacturer of welding consumables, has emerged as a trusted partner in the oil and gas industry. With a deep understanding of the unique challenges faced by this sector, D&H Sécheron offers innovative solutions that enhance efficiency, productivity, and safety. Their range of high-alloy electrodes, flux-cored wires, and submerged arc welding wires are specifically designed to withstand the harsh conditions encountered in oil and gas operations. By providing superior corrosion resistance, high-strength welds, and advanced welding processes, D&H Sécheron ensures the integrity and durability of critical infrastructure in the oil and gas industry. Let’s explore the key aspects of India’s oil and gas industry.
- Exploration and Production: India possesses significant hydrocarbon reserves, both onshore and offshore, providing immense potential for exploration and production activities. Exploration efforts are focused on identifying new reserves and expanding the existing ones. Through initiatives like the Open Acreage Licensing Policy (OALP) and the Hydrocarbon Exploration and Licensing Policy (HELP), the government aims to attract domestic and international investment in exploration and production activities.
- Public and Private Players: India’s oil and gas industry comprises both public and private sector entities. Public sector companies, such as Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) and Oil India Limited (OIL), Limited have been at the forefront of exploration, production, and refining activities for decades. Private companies, including Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) Nayara Energy, HPCL-Mittal Energy Limited (HMEL), and Cairn India, have also made substantial contributions to the industry’s growth. The participation of private players has brought innovation, technology, and increased competitiveness.
- Refining and Petrochemicals: India has a robust refining sector, with several refineries catering to domestic demand and exporting petroleum products to international markets. Major refineries in India are Indian Oil Corporation (IOC), Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL), and Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL), Nayara Energy, HPCL-Mittal Energy Limited (HMEL) & Jamnagar Refinery by Reliance Industries Limited. These refineries not only meet the country’s growing demand but also generate significant revenue through exports. Additionally, India has witnessed a surge in petrochemical production, enabling the development of a vibrant downstream sector.
- Natural Gas and LNG: The demand for natural gas in India has been steadily increasing due to its cleaner burning nature and diverse applications. The government has been promoting the use of natural gas to reduce carbon emissions and improve air quality. Major initiatives include the expansion of the pipeline network, the establishment of liquefied natural gas (LNG) terminals, and the implementation of the City Gas Distribution (CGD) network. With the development of the National Gas Grid and the promotion of LNG infrastructure, India aims to enhance the share of natural gas in its energy mix.
- Challenges and Future Outlook: The oil and gas industry in India faces several challenges that require attention for sustainable growth. These include policy reforms, infrastructure development, technological advancements, and environmental sustainability. The government’s efforts to streamline regulations, attract investment, and encourage innovation are crucial in addressing these challenges. With the growing focus on renewable energy sources and the transition towards a greener economy, India’s oil and gas industry.
Challenges faced by Oil & Gas Industry:
The prevailing conditions in the oil and gas industries are much different from other engineering industries. Most oil and gas equipment handle high-pressure hydrocarbon fluids, which are mostly flammable, and even a small mistake or defect may cause a huge loss of life and property. The corrosive nature of the materials used in the oil and gas industry makes it one of the most sensitive industries. The crude oil, semi-processed or, processed hydrocarbon products or, by-products, presence of materials like Sulphur, Hydrogen Sulphide (H₂S), Carbon, and its various compounds are very corrosive and pose many challenges to welding. There are stringent quality codes like (ASME Section’s API standards) requirements and a very narrow window of tolerances. This is because even a minute mistake may result in huge losses explore some of these challenges and how D&H Sécheron addresses them:
- Corrosion and High-Temperature Resistance:
Corrosion and high temperatures are significant concerns in the oil and gas industry. Welding consumables must provide excellent resistance to corrosive substances and maintain their mechanical properties at elevated temperatures. D&H Sécheron offers a wide range of high-alloy electrodes, flux-cored wires, and submerged arc welding wires with superior corrosion and heat resistance. Some of our best-in-class consumables for the above condition are CROMOTHERME-91, CROMOTHERME-92 & F70S-2(NACE) which ensure the durability and reliability of welded joints in corrosion & high-temperature resistance.
- Strength and Toughness:
Welded joints in the oil and gas industry must possess exceptional strength and toughness to withstand mechanical stresses, such as vibration and impact loads. D&H Sécheron’s consumables are designed to deliver high-strength welds with excellent toughness, reducing the risk of joint failure. D&H Sécheron’s SUPRATHERME, RUTOX-B, SECHERON 308L (SPL) & MAXFIL-12M provide crack-free welds, even in demanding circumstances.
- Welding in Challenging Environments:
Oil and gas operations often take place in remote and challenging environments, such as offshore platforms and subsea installations. Welding consumables used in these conditions should be capable of withstanding harsh weather, saltwater exposure, and limited accessibility. D&H Sécheron’s consumables D&H 2594(NS) & D&H 2595(NS) are specially formulated to offer exceptional performance in such environments, enabling efficient and reliable welding operations.
- Quality and Traceability:
Maintaining high-quality standards and ensuring the traceability of welding consumables are crucial for the oil and gas industry. D&H Sécheron follows rigorous quality control procedures and provides complete traceability of its welding consumables, adhering to international standards and certifications. At D&H Sécheron we perform a Creep test involving a standard tensile specimen under a constant load maintained at a constant temperature and measurements of strain are recorded over a period of time. Creep rates are used in evaluating materials for boilers, gas turbines, jet engines, ovens, or any application that involves high temperatures under load. This commitment to quality ensures that welds meet industry specifications, minimizing the risk of costly repairs or failures.
Megaprojects in the oil & gas industry
D&H Sécheron’s consumables have made significant contributions to major projects in the oil & gas industry such as the HRRL Refinery, the Nigeria Dangote Refinery Project, IOCL Barauni Refinery, NRL Refinery & the Chhara LNG Terminal. RUTOX-B is a best-in-class welding consumable offered by D&H Sécheron. It has been successfully employed in the HRRL Refinery project, in Rajasthan. This consumable is specifically designed for high-temperature applications and provides exceptional corrosion resistance.
Another noteworthy project where D&H Sécheron’s welding consumables showcased their capabilities is the Chhara LNG Terminal, Gujarat. As a crucial energy infrastructure project, the terminal required welding solutions that could withstand the extreme conditions associated with liquefied natural gas (LNG). With the utilization of BATOX-B consumables, the Chhara LNG Terminal project benefited from welds that exhibited superior strength and durability. The consumables’ advanced formulation and composition ensure excellent corrosion resistance, making them highly suitable for the demanding conditions encountered in LNG terminals.
Consumables for the oil & gas industry
CROMOTHERME-92: A low hydrogen non-synthetic electrode deposits 9Cr – 0.5Mo – 1.7W and is enriched with Niobium, Vanadium, and Nitrogen. It is designed to weld advanced materials, which are being used to improve thermal efficiency in power plants, refineries, etc.
CROMOTHERME-91: It is a 9Cr – 1Mo, non-synthetic, low hydrogen electrode modified with Aluminium, Niobium, Vanadium, and Nitrogen designed to provide improved creep strength, toughness, fatigue life, oxidation, and corrosion resistance at elevated temperatures.
CELLUTHERME: It is a light-coated cellulosic type electrode. The electrodes are characterized by a deeply penetrating, forceful, spray-type arc and readily removable, thin, friable slag. Ideally suited for welding in all positions including vertical down.
D&H 1250: It is a basic coated electrode depositing monel weld metal. Ideal for welding of monel to monel, Ni-Cu alloys to themselves, Ni-Cu alloy to steels, for welding clad side of Ni-Cu clad steel, and for surfacing on steel parts for service against corrosion by seawater.
SUPRATHERME: It is an E7018 electrode which is a heavy coated low hydrogen, iron powder type electrode ideally suited for producing tough and ductile welds of radiographic quality
Welding in the oil and gas industry requires consumables that can withstand extreme conditions, provide exceptional strength and corrosion resistance, and meet stringent quality standards. D&H Secheron, with its extensive range of innovative welding consumables and commitment to research and development, offers tailored solutions that address the unique challenges faced by this industry. By incorporating their high-strength, corrosion-resistant consumables and advanced welding processes, oil and gas companies can enhance efficiency, improve safety, and ensure the integrity of their infrastructure. D&H Secheron’s unwavering dedication to providing reliable and high-quality welding consumables solidifies its position as a trusted partner for the oil and gas industry’s welding needs. In order to get complete welding support feel free to drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call/WhatsApp us at +91-98335 50505 or visit our website www.dnhsecheron.com, we will be happy to resolve all your queries.